We're a NYS licensed mold assessor.

A Closer Look Home Inspections leaves nothing for you to question. We test for mold by using a variety of techniques, including air sampling, swabbing and tape lifts. Within 72 hours, we will have our report back from the lab and delivered to you so that you will know right away if your home or prospective home has any dangerous mold present.

A CLOSER LOOK AT MOLD AND THE PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH IT

Black Mold, also known as Stachybotrys Chartarum (atra) is a greenish-black fungus found worldwide that colonizes particularly well in high-cellulose material, such as straw, hay, wet leaves, dry wall, carpet, wall paper, fiber-board, ceiling tiles, thermal insulation, etc. Before drying, is wet and slightly slimy to touch.This type of fungus does not grow on plastic, vinyl, concrete products, or ceramic tiles. It is not found in the green mold on bread or the black mold on the shower tiles. The toxic mold environmental risk may be one of the next major real estate “due diligence” concerns, especially in property development areas where major flooding has occurred.

A major concern is that one might not be able to permanently eliminate the entire toxic mold from the structure. There also remains a great propensity for future reoccurrence. The health risk/hazard could be back again. Therefore, we must recommend that great care be exercised to remove and dispose of all products, which have been contaminated by the toxic mold contaminated.Stachybotrys mold may evolve to a point where it is regarded with the same cautions, response and liability concerns as those attributed to lead-base paint and asbestos.

This type of mold is thought to be a possible cause of the “sick building syndrome”. Children’s exposure to air-borne Stachybotrys spores is thought most likely to cause pulmonary hemosiderosis (bleeding in the lungs). Please be aware that there is no threshold dangerous spore exposure level by the U.S. EPA or any other health administrations and there are studies being conducted.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) list the following as symptoms associated with exposure to Stachybotrys mold spores:

  1. Respiratory problems, such as wheezing, and difficulty in breathing
  2. Nasal and sinus congestion
  3. Eyes-burning, watery, reddened, blurry vision, light sensitivity
  4. Dry, hacking cough
  5. Sore throat
  6. Nose and throat irritation
  7. Shortness of breath
  8. Chronic fatigue
  9. Skin irritation
  10. Central nervous system problems (constant headaches, memory problems, and mood changes)
  11. Aches and pains
  12. Possible fever
  13. Diarrhea
  14. Possible hemosiderosis
  15. Immune suppression

BE VERY AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:

  1. Black mold cannot be identified by a routine visual inpections. A Mold Test must be performed.
  2. Mold in carpeting, usually present after a flood, cannot be killed by carpet cleaning. You must remove the carpet.
  3. Mold can grown inside the walls of your home. Air sampling tests can detect this.
  4. Mold may be hidden in places such as the back side of dry wall, wallpaper, or paneling, the top side of ceiling tiles, around pipes, the surface of walls behind furniture, inside ductwork, and in roof materials.